Sunday, April 4, 2010

Even bunnies can fly.

To recap: Read my last blog entry.

To continue: After my out-of-body experience with the Air Tram (I’m still reeling in delight), I made my way to the correct terminal and in a matter of ten, simple (taking-off-shoes-and-jacket-and-pulling-out-laptop) minutes, I was on the air side. From there on out, I regret to say that nothing out of the ordinary happened. (Regret! As if you actually want something out of the ordinary to occur at an airport these days.) I boarded on time, I sat in my correct seat, and I turned off my electronic devices when told. And speaking of which, what happens if I don’t turn off my devices? Will they physically force me to do so? What possible harm could my Kindle (yes, I have one – I hate having to turn pages) do?

Fyi, that last train of thought was the most interesting thing that happened in my brain during the flight. Yes. It was a truly exhilarating flight.

The plane was one of those one-seat / aisle / two-seats planes - the type in which you can reach out both arms and touch each side of the plane. Thankfully, the one I’m on now is two-seats / aisle / two-seats.

That’s right, folks, the one I’m on now. I’m blogging in flight!

So let’s get to the down and dirty.

Who needs an in-flight movie when you can eavesdrop on the people sitting in front of you? Two men, one woman. From what I can tell, the one man lives in NYC and his mom’s friend and another close male friend (perhaps lover? I can’t quite tell – but he is Brazilian, that’s for sure. That’s for SURE.) are going to stay with him for a bit. All three travel often (the woman recently went to Vegas), enjoy beer (they went to a biergarten two days ago and had “a freaking blast!”), are Christian (or least, attended a very crowded Easter church service this morning that had a massive egg hunt), want to earn flight points (to go to Brazil), are obsessed with dieting (so far, the “Gwyneth Paltrow diet” and “three month fruit and veggie detox” have been discussed) and had homemade, delicious Cornish game hen last night.

That’s right, bitches. Someone is always listening.

In truth, they seem like a fun bunch. I decided this fact when they came on board, holding plastic cups (with their city’s hockey logo stamped on it) filled with beer. Is that even legal? “I feel like I’m tailgating,” the possibly gay Brazilian giggled. The other man toasted in agreement, “We kind of are!”

……..sure, why not.

At this point, around 9:15pm, our deep-voiced pilot came over the loud speaker (why do they always have deep voices and why do they always mumble?). After the typical welcome spiel, he cleared his throat. “Weather in New York is 52 degrees, clear and…..dark.” Hey, don’t judge. Maybe Easter is when the junior pilots get to try out their skills.

I have to wrap up this entry by getting a little sappy. Flying during the night is always a little incredible. Perhaps it’s the old “turn off the lights, burn some candles, and everything will look softer and nicer” adage, but looking down on cities and towns just glowing with soft burnt orange streetlamps is nothing but romantic. That is, of course, if you can see the streetlamps past the roaring airplane propeller that is right outside your window, threatening to break loose and create the beginning of a horror film. Other than that, it’s completely romantic.

Okay, it’s time to store our electronic devices – and I have a bagful of Easter chocolates calling my name (shout out to M, D, UR & AC for the sweets). And some eavesdropping to do.

As for you, go have a chocolate-covered Peep. You deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment