Friday, April 2, 2010

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's.....yeah, a plane.

Yes, dear readers, today, instead of using public transportation to go into the depths of the earth, I used it to soar above our planet (I use the term "soar" loosely. Also....is flying considered public transportation? I suppose not, but let's discuss it anyway.)

Now, I'm going to make this short, as it's been an uber-long day. For tonight, I will simply recap Part One of my travels - actually getting to the plane.

It began in the wee hours of the morning, with a black town car picking me up at my apartment, and whisking me to Newark International Airport.

(May I divulge for a moment and say that the glamour of having a fancy car with a driver will never be lost on me? Perhaps it comes from my mini-van childhood (for which I am grateful....damn, I loved that mini-van), but the idea of a driver just seems so.....cool. Sleek. Suave. Movie star-ish. Actually, to match the fame I feel when taking a car, I often take on a celebrity attitude. This morning for instance, I sauntered out to the town car, wearing sunglasses in the 5am light to presumably hide my morning-after-the-opening-night-movie-party-face from the paparazzi. Dear Lord, I wouldn't want to end up in US Weekly again!)

Back in the real world (where US Weekly only knows my name as their most enthusastic subscriber - you didn't even know they had subscribers, did you!), my driver dropped me at Newark Airport. Five minutes later, I discovered that I was in the wrong terminal. What to do, what to do.......well of course! Be blessed with the experience of the ride of the future, the space shuttle for earthlings, the end all and be all of public transportation: The Airtrain.

......okay, so yeah, it's just an airtrain. But still, I would be lying if I said I wasn't the teeniest bit thrilled. I don't actually think I've ever taken Newark's Airtrain - who knew that the cars were so tiny! Small enough that each individual/family had their own private car - oh, the delight of having privacy on public transportation! I had my iPod on and even busted a move or two as the Airtrain glided from Terminal A to B.

Soon enough, I made it to the correct terminal, and after arguing (and winning!) that my suitcase was indeed the correct carry-on size and did not have to be checked, I made it through security.

What will happen next? Will I make it on time for my plane? Will I get a window or an aisle seat? Will I choose to accept the free pretzels (for the love of God, why can't we ever get PEANUTS anymore?!)?

Tune in later for the next installment of the continuation of the travel log of today's journeys in this blog that chronicles the daily tales of a girl and her life with public transportation!

No comments:

Post a Comment