Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Wait a second, what's that expression on your face....

Today, I semi-stalked a fellow rider while he semi-stalked me. This tale involves two subway cars, a brochure for a nail spa, and a fruit stand. Intrigued, aren't you? Stay tuned for a story later.

I now need to remark on the oddity of this morning.

When I reached the subway platform, I noticed a man, dressed in a nice grey suit and a crisp blue shirt, sitting on a bench on the platform. Now this in itself is not odd (although, those benches are so dirty that I for one never sit on them.....unless I'm inebriated and need a steady place to land, and really, at that point, I figured all the alcohol on me washes off the bench germs).

What was odd is that he was smiling. Serenly. With his eyes closed. No headset on, not reading a wall ad for "How To Find Happiness" or "This Is The Ad That Will Change Your Life." He was just in his own head....and happy.

Several yards down, another fellow rider, this time a young woman, dressed in a peach sundress and holding her briefcase, was gazing down the track, and again, smiling.

Since when are New Yorkers so damn happy?

As I went on the rest of my morning route, I saw more and more people grinning softly to themselves. What was making them so joyful?! A job promotion? Or maybe heading into their final day at the workplace they hate? Perhaps it was hearing a significant other say that they love them? Finding out they are pregnant (or finding out that they are not pregnant)? Or perhaps it is just the spring air, ripe with possibilities and sweet with expectation.

Whatever the reason, it's a nice change from the morbidly cold winter months, when scowls and grimaces were the only expressions seen on subway platforms at 9am - and I plan to let go of any anxiety I have, and jump aboard this spring-lovin' train.

That is, until a few months from now, when we all start to complain about the stifling hot, thickening muggy weather.

But let's just forget about that for now, and enjoy this while it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment